Task A - Comprehension Skills Exercise
1. Give a rough definition of a black hole.
2. What is ‘escape velocity’?
3. Do larger planets have a higher or lower escape velocity?
4. What is the escape velocity of Earth?
5. What is the escape velocity of the Moon?
6. Which project did Oppenheimer run?
7. What did this project involve?
8. What happens once you cross the event horizon of a black hole?
9. What does ‘inexorable’ mean?
10. What do you think the text means by the ‘singularity’ at the centre of the black hole?
11. How could you define the event horizon in terms of the speed of light?
12. Identify each of the following in a table after reading the text on black holes:
Choose one or more of the following links to view or read: